Unable to make up your mind of whether to undergo liposuction or not? If there’s any consolation then know this that undergoing liposuction is not an easy decision to make. Hence, read this blog to know more about the procedure so that you are equipped with the right knowledge.
- 1 Things To Know Before Opting For Liposuction Surgery
- 1.1 1. What is Liposuction?
- 1.2 2. Who is an ideal candidate for liposuction?
- 1.3 3. How liposuction is performed?
- 1.4 4. How to prepare for liposuction?
- 1.5 5. What are the risks and side effects of liposuction?
- 1.6 6. How long does it take to recover from liposuction?
- 1.7 7. How to recover after liposuction?
- 1.8 8. Is liposuction a weight loss procedure?
- 1.9 9. How to choose a liposuction clinic in Delhi?
- 1.10 10. When to expect results after the procedure?
Things To Know Before Opting For Liposuction Surgery
1. What is Liposuction?
Commonly referred to as lipo, liposuction is the procedure of reshaping and enhancing the contour of specific areas of the body. Don’t mistake this as a procedure to treat obesity. It is more of a cosmetic surgery that takes out fat from the most stubborn areas of the body. Doctors prescribe undergoing liposuction for patients suffering from gynecomastia as their chest is swollen and nipples are puffy.
2. Who is an ideal candidate for liposuction?
Ideally, not everyone can opt for a liposuction procedure. Quoting the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, adults who are within 30% of their ideal weight are the ideal candidates for liposuction. The surgery has a higher chance of success if the person has good skin elasticity, firm and good muscle tone. Also, a person should consider liposuction only if the patient desires to do so. Apart from the ideal weight, the following factors are considered to make sure that the person can undergo liposuction without any risks and complications-
- Should be non-smokers
- Not suffering from chronic health condition nor taking any medicines for any fatal medical illness
- Should have the will to continue a particular lifestyle to maintain the results post-surgery
People who are unable to get rid of stubborn fat from the following areas should think about undergoing the procedure-
- Buttocks and hips
- Inner knees
- Upper arms
- Thighs, both outer and inner thighs
- Under the neck
3. How liposuction is performed?
The procedure of liposuction is as follows-
● Step 1- Anesthesia
To begin the surgery, the patient is either given a general or local anesthesia to make sure there is no pain nor discomfort.
● Step 2- Incisions
The doctor starts with the surgery by making several small incisions. Through this, a mixture of saline solution and an anaesthetic is injected into the fatty area.
● Step 3- Inserting the probes
Depending on the type of technique the person has decided to undergo for liposuction, the doctor takes the following step.
- Dry lipo-The most conventional method of liposuction.
- Tumescent lipo- A saline solution is injected into the place and the fat is suctioned through tubes.
- Ultrasound-assisted lipo- As it suggests, the cannula energized with ultrasound melts away the stubborn fat.
- Power-assisted lipo- With the help of a specialized cannula, the doctor moves to and fo to take out the fat.
- Laser lipo- A tube is inserted into the area through the incision that emits laser energy to heat the fat.
- VASER Liposuction- The doctor inserts probes that emit ultrasound waves to break the fat cells.
● Step 4-Breaking the fat cells
The fat cells break due to heat or movement or the saline solution, depending on the type, into a liquid form.
● Step 5- Sucking out the fat
With the help of tubes or another cannula, the doctor sucks out the excessive fat. It is finished bu closing the incisions with sutures or dissolvable glue.
4. How to prepare for liposuction?
The preparation of liposuction ensures that you have maximum desired results. The doctor recommends some diagnostic tests such as blood tests. In addition to this, they prescribe the following-
- Stop taking aspirin or anti-inflammatory drugs prior to the surgery
- Take iron supplements in case suffering from anemia
5. What are the risks and side effects of liposuction?
Similar to any other surgery, liposuction incurs some mild to severe side effects. The mild side effects include- bleeding, risk of infection, anesthesia effects, swelling, fluid accumulation, bruising and change in skin sensitivity.
Some severe complications that require immediate medical attention are-
- Deep vein thrombosis, complications in the heart and lungs
- Chronic pain
- Allergic reaction to the medicines or materials during the procedure
- Thermal burn or injury to heat
- Loosening of the skin
- Damage to the nerves, blood vessels, lungs, muscles and abdominal organs
- Pigmentation problems
- Delay in the healing of wounds
- Need to undergo another surgery
- Irregular body contour
6. How long does it take to recover from liposuction?
There might be swelling and pain once the patient wakes up. However, this is completely normal to experience. With the proper post-operative instructions in place, the doctor guarantees fast recovery and minimal risk of complications. The patient has to wear a compression garment for at least 3 weeks of the recovery. Although the patient can resume work on the second day itself, the complete recovery takes around 4-6 weeks.
7. How to recover after liposuction?
During the discharge, the doctors prescribe a set of activities that are allowed and to be avoided.
List of Dos-
- Wear a compression garment continuously even while sleeping
- Start taking brisk walks on the second day itself
- Initially, do some moderate activities
- Make pain your guide
- Drink lots of fluids throughout the recovery period
List of Don’ts-
- Avoid going under the direct sunlight without covering for at least six weeks
- Restrict bending, stretching
- Do not go for aerobics, running for at least 2-3 weeks
- Neither drink nor smoke during the recovery period
8. Is liposuction a weight loss procedure?
Don’t make the mistake of thinking liposuction as a weightloss procedure. It is more like an invasive procedure that enhances the body contour of a patient. If you are considering liposuction to lose weight, then don’t go for it. The person has to maintain a healthy lifestyle and exercise regularly to ensure long-lasting results. Hence, before opting for the surgery, think again about the end results.
9. How to choose a liposuction clinic in Delhi?
Choosing a good liposuction clinic is crucial to ensure that the results are desired. However, finding a good liposuction clinic in Delhi or other metro cities is not as easy as it seems. Here are some factors to keep in mind-
- Research thoroughly about the services they offer on the website.
- Read the doctor profiles meticulously to see their experience and specialization.
- Read various testimonials to see what other people are saying.
- Look up about the equipment installed in their world-class clinics.
- Talk with clinic staff to see their behavior.
- Consider the cost and the services provided under that cost.
- Look for the before and after photos for the liposuction procedure.
10. When to expect results after the procedure?
The recovery period after liposuction surgery depends on primarily two factors- the size of the treated area and the amount of fat taken.
Until the inflammation and swelling completely subside, the results don’t become evident. Generally, swelling and inflammation reduce at the end of 4 weeks. The patient can see that the place from where the fat is taken to be less puffy. Sometimes, it may take over 4 weeks for the swelling to completely subside.
After the surgery, a patient who diligently follows a healthy lifestyle and consumes a nutritious diet, tend to experience results that are permanent in nature.
Liposuction is not a simple procedure. It is similar to a surgical procedure with possible side effects. The above information can help you make an informed decision about undergoing liposuction. However, in case you are still in doubt, consult with a cosmetic surgeon in Delhi who can guide you better.
HussaiN is a full-time professional blogger from India. He is passionate about content writing, Tech enthusiast & computer technologies. Apart from content writing on the internet, he likes reading various tech magazines and several other blogs on the internet.